Tired of political ads and talk? Disciples should have a higher focus. And don’t worry, this post isn’t about politics! But our constant backdrop of political hype sets the stage for a Life Lessons post about freedoms. Why? Well, do you ever have days when you feel uncertain or fearful? There’s help in permanent freedoms!
Life Lessons: Security
Politicians want us to think they have the power to give and take away. In some things they do. But even in our legal structure, there are things they aren’t supposed to be able to breach. Ever heard of the Bill of Rights? And this actually leads to something much more important!
Our founding fathers didn’t trust politicians. Does anyone wonder why? Politicians are people and the founders knew what we see every time we turn around:
- Man is sinful
- Sinful men often don’t use power in a Godly manner
- Power corrupts (probably just lets corruption show up quicker!)
So in founding a new nation, the founders put certain inalienable rights out of the reach of politicians. What was their pattern for doing that? The model they followed is very likely on your smart phone!
Disciples And The Unchanging Word
We enjoy the certainty of things that never change. You probably have a Bible app on your phone. God’s word never changes because God never changes. Our founders knew that every age is filled with uncertainty. We need to be reminded of that.
And even as we face uncertain days, disciples can stand with certainty on God’s unchanging Word. Here are a dozen things every disciple has been freed from. And the more often we remind ourselves of these freedoms, the more effective we will be as His disciples!
Disciple’s Unchanging Freedoms
- Failure: Philippians 4:13 – I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.
- Need: Philippians 4:19 – My God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
- Fear: 2 Timothy 1:7 – God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
- Doubt: Romans 12:3 – God has given to every man a measure of faith.
- Weakness: Psalm 27:1 – The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
- Satan’s power: I John 4:4 – Greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world.
- Defeat: 2 Corinthians 2:14 – But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place.
- Ignorance: I Corinthians 1:30 – But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption.
- Sin: I John 1:7 – If we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
- Worry: I Peter 5:7 – Casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.
- Bondage: 2 Corinthians 3:17 – For where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
- Condemnation: Romans 8:1 – There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
- Death and Hell: I Corinthians 15:55-57 – ‘O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?’ The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
OK, so a Life Lessons post gave you a baker’s dozen! And remember, men didn’t give you those freedoms and men can never take them away – politician or not!
Do you find that encouraging? How about helping to encourage others? You can help us equip a pastor (foreign or domestic!) by giving a sponsored membership. It’s easy and can make an incredible difference in the lives of others.
This post is ‘open’ – meaning all site visitors can read it. But members can view all posts and receive substantial discounts on all our E-quip.Us resources. My vision for the membership process is to expand ministry funding to the point that we can help offset the costs for U.S. pastors (and other mission volunteers) to go and equip pastors in many places
And trust me on this, that equipping is most often a two-way street. I rarely go intending to bless others that I am not blessed in return. So, please pray about becoming a ministry member today. This LINK, or the subscription link on the home page, will help you get that done.
And it’s always good to be a Helping Hand when asking others to do the same. That’s the intent of every post. But just to go the second mile, let me offer you another helpful resource. Get your Disciple’s Checklist below. You’ll be surprised at the simplicity of Jesus’ steps in making disciples. Enjoy!